Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:19:26 -0700
From:      Pat Lashley <patl+freebsd@volant.org>
To:        randy <randy@turbowarp.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Spam RBL

--On Thursday, June 20, 2002 10:33:00 AM -0400 randy <randy@turbowarp.net>
wrote:

> These guys are scaring me.  I have read and re-read the Sendmail
> configuraions readme's and my eyes glaze over and then roll into the back
> of my head.
>
> Can it or is it really as difficult as they make it out to be?

Yes, it can.

The easiest way to solve your MTA configuration problems is to switch from
sendmail to an alternative with easier to understand config files.
Personally,
I've been very happy with Exim for about 10 years now...

> I just want to set up spam filter for "direct useage via DNS" ... for
> mail-abuse or ordb.
>
> Do I simply add "5.123.89.192.relays.ordb.org. IN A 127.0.0.2" to my DNS
> record for each domain?  Do I need to do anything else?

Other replies have explained how to setup DNS based RBL in sendmail.  I'd
just like to point out that Exim 4.x makes it easy to access multiple RBL
lists, with possibly different actions for each.

-Pat