Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:49:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
To:        "DOROVSKOY,IGOR (A-Portsmouth,ex1)" <igor_dorovskoy@agilent.com>
Cc:        'Andrew Boothman' <andrew@cream.org>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: OS Textbook FreeBSD Appendix

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, DOROVSKOY,IGOR (A-Portsmouth,ex1) wrote:

> I've took a brief look on Unix presentation and was wondering, why author
> says that "...most Unix systems have not permitted shared memory because
> the PDP-11 hardware did not encourage it..."?

where'd they get this? that's an odd statement. Shared memory was used all
the time on Unix on -11s, that's the whole point of the shared text a.out
format. Of course shared read-only text is not exactly the standard shared
memory, but at the same time it shows feasibility. The address space was
so small though that other mechanisms were used.

ron