Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:18:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   DPT SmartRaid V (i960 based) and FreeBSD

Hi Y'll

Since I cannot afford to read this fine list on a regular basis and since I
am getting several inquiries per day on this issue, here is a short brief
on the subject:

*  I am the author of the FreeBSD DPT drivers.

*  These drivers support any DPT card (EISA and PCI) in the SmartRAID III
   and SmartRAID IV.

*  All DPT Cards up until the SmartRAID V were conforming to the EATA
   specifications, thus being able to share a single driver.

*  The SmartRAID V cards conform to the I2O standards and have
   (software-wise) nothing to do with any DPT card designed previously.

*  I am actively working on the development of the software necessary for
   FreeBSD to be able to utilize these fine cards.  To this end, I am
   working with the DPT engineering folks to assure prompt and quality
   product.

*  I do not expect the work to be completed before two-three months from
   now.

Here is a summary of some issues in this regard:

*  The card is i2o compliant.
*  The i2o specifications are proprietary and neither the specifications
   nor any code based on these specifications can be published.
*  I have the necessary credentials and licensing agreements in place to
   allow me to develop i2o software.
*  There is no i2o infrastructure in FreeBSD.
*  I am actively busy developing such infrastructure.
*  Once the i2o infrastructure is viable, the DPT driver will be completed.
   Actually, these two are developed hand in hand.
*  There will be no source code of any of this work available until the i2o
   consortium decides to allow publication of work based on this standard.
*  I have no clue if and when such publication will be permitted.
*  A binary version of the code, in the form of a LKM, binary stubs, etc.
   will be made available on ftp://simon-shapiro.org/i2o.
*  These binaries will be updated once a week, tracking FreeBSD 3.0 and or
   CURRENT.
*  I have no plans to track any earlier versions of FreeBSD.
*  Alpha support will be concurrent with IA support.

Hope this helps.

As I said before, I do not have the ability to track this list, but please
do not hesitate to drop me a line...

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             770.265.7340
Simon Shapiro

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth