Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 00:20:04 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Ozge Uncu <ozge@rorqual.cc.metu.edu.tr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding new harddisk

At 11:31 AM 12/16/96 -0800, Doug White wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Ozge Uncu wrote:
>
>>         I have a simple but a terrible problem. I want to add a new
harddisk
>> to my PC but I could not. It is SCSI family harddisk with SCSI ID# 6. But I
>> can make BIOS to make ID#3. ID#1 and ID#2 is full.
>
>SCSI IDs are set by a hardware jumper setting on the drive itself.  See
>the drive's manual for instructions on changing the ID.  The devices I've
>seen usually have three jumpers in sequence that are the binary
>representation of the ID.
>
>Having the ID be 6 won't hurt anything; the important thing is that it
>doesn't use the same ID as something else.  There's also something about
>boot order, but since you won't be disturbing it you have nothing to worry
>about.

Take note as well that the Controller has an ID as well.. typically 7 from
what I understand.

Also, a handy thing to keep in mind for the future if you use ID 6 and then
add another drive later (with a lower ID) is to wire down the drives in the
kernel.... See the section in LINT (typically in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf)
that begins with

# Beginning with FreeBSD 2.0.5 you can wire down your SCSI devices so
# that a given bus, target, and LUN always come on line as the same

I did that today on a system... Very handy!

For complete details, check the FAQ... The reccomended way seems to be
going through /stand/sysinstall and choosing custom/Express... But again,
check the FAQ for instructions.

	---Mike