Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:19:32 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Any advice on Asus M8x00 ?

I think I'll receive an Asus M8300 (it is not a choice that is depending on
my willing).
But I am very scared about the gardware it comes in these notebook because
I think there is a very few things that will be supported by FreeBSD.
Please let me know something more about FreeBSD and these components:

1) Integrated Modem/ether:
Lucent 1646 DSP
Integrated mobile Modem/Fax/LAN module board design (Manufacture's option)
Hardware (DSP) V.90 modem and Intel 82559 10/100 Fast-Ethernet
controller chip n Video-conferencing I/F V.80 Compliance
AC'97 2.1 and WfM 2.0 supported

The modem is seen by Windog  as WinLt (Lucent Tech.). I think it is not
supported now (and in the near future).
Ethernet board is the same I fear...

2) I can try to use my pccards modem/ether but the slot is:
RICOH R5C475II
PCMCIA 2.1 compliant, supports one Type II slot
32-bit PC CardBus architecture and Zoomed VideoTM supported

and I am scared that perhaps it is not supported, Any info ?

3) The video card is:
SMI 710 2D VGA chip
128 bit graphic accelerationg engine; 4 MB video memory embedded
Dual view and dual application in Windows 95/98/NT with LCD and CRT
independent resolution and refresh rate
Portrait or landscape display to allowfor CRT 90-degree CRT rotation.

Even if windows detects it as Lynx (or similar) as I remember well...
Info ? Any news of Xfree/Xig/Metrolink support ?

4) The Sound card:
AC ' 97 CODEC AD1881
Built-in AC'97 stereo sound, with 3D sound effects
Full duplex audio
Built-in stereo speaker and microphone

I can leave without sound and I think I'll do with this notebook... :-)

More info at: http://www.asus.com/products/notebook/M8000/spec.html

If someone can help me with these informations I can try to convince the
company to change idea at least for me :-) And if the situation is so bad
please suggest a good laptop with at least a 13.3 (1024x768) lcd in the
range of 2500-2800 USD that it is well supported by FreeBSD.

Thanks for attention and sorry for the long post.

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it