Date:      Thu, 7 Feb 2002 19:29:57 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How about gcj? (Re: Not committing WARNS settings...)

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:11:33AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 12:39:35AM -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > I believe,  what I see.  And that is, FreeBSD  includes both --  gdb and
> > gcc, but only one libbfd, thankfully. And  I want to be able to use that
> > same libbfd  for my own development  and for porting of  other compilers
> > and tools.

> Sure some things are a problem.  GCC 2.95 generates bad optimized code on
> the Alpha.  Upgrading to 3.1 will fix [some of] this.  We cannot do a

To satisfy a bit of my curiosity:

- is GCC3 also better on Alpha as far as correctness of the generated
  code goes? Or is that what you mean by "bad optimised code" ?

- The gcc 2.95 compiler is quite a bit slower (it appears) on Alpha than
  on x86. Do you have any idea how gcc3 does in this respect?

Thanks!
Wilko