Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:39:41 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        rhillery@hawksi.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booteasy & mbr

10/11/2002 7:41:18 PM, Hillery <rhillery@hawksi.org> wrote:

>Arrrgh...
>  OK, I've R'd the FM (Murray's AND Greg Lehey's) and still can't find
>someting that I know I did this summer... edited the text echoed by the
FBSD
>bootloader.

If it was booteasy, you edited the source code, which according to the
FAQ is a non-trivial proposition.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-
1/books/faq/disks.html#CHANGING-BOOTPROMPT

>  Somewhere on the site or in those books I found a blurb  on how to
modify
>the text that spits out "F1 DOS & F2 BSD " lines in pre-boot (before
BTX
>takes over -- so boot) or boot1?)
>
>  Actually, right now it's a minor annoyance but since I think it can be
done
>I want to -- I have F1 showing as "??" because it's a dual boot laptop
(Win2K
>plus this FBSD 4.6) and the WIN slice is NTFS.  I once modified the
echo by
>adding and F3 which was bogus (to alloy a colleague who often tried to
use
>the system...).  If I could do that (and I can't even find that again in the
>books...).  I've wandered around in loader.conf & rc.conf & loader.4th,
in
>/etc and in /etc/defaults.  zilch.

So you're real sure it wasn't grub or the NT bootloader?  If it was
booteasy, I don't have an answer for you.

>  OH, BTW, will openoffice 1.0.1 and/or mozilla 1.0.1 run on BSD --
Again, I'm
>kinda new to this end, but I downloaded the linux versions (yeah, I
know that
>may be the prob... BSD isn't linux, which is great because I can't stand
that
>penguin...) and after tar -zxf then trying install I got errors ELF <0> or
>something like that.  & Yes, I su'd to root...

Openoffice:

Binary packages for FreeBSD here: http://projects.imp.ch/openoffice/
(Google is your friend.)

Build-from-source port available on your machine (if your ports are up-
to-date) at /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.

find / -name openoffice

or

whereis openoffice

Mozilla:

I don't use it, but there are several mozilla ports on your machine (again,
if your ports are up-to-date) in /usr/ports/www/.  I hear it takes a while to
compile.

Jud