Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2000 00:23:20 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Brigid Fuller <brigid@zna.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@osd.bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: Press looking for FreeBSD firewall reference

Dear Brigid,

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 01:35:37PM -0800, Brigid Fuller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm with BSDi's PR agency,  As Jordan is currently unavailable, I'm
> hoping someone else might be able to help.

Yes, of course.  In any way this is possible..

> We have been working with Jason Compton who is writing a story for the
> publicatiion - Smart Business,  on building a  firewall - step by step.
> Jason was shipped a copy of  FreeBSD 4.2, and has possibly received some
> technical support from Chris Kingsley or Seth Shumway per Jordan's
> suggestion.
>
> My question is...
>
> Does anyone know of a "humble" enterprise  FreeBSD case study/user that
> relates to this firewall topic?  Someone who has successfully built a
> firewall using FreeBSD?   We would need to make sure that the person/s
> we refer don't mind being contacted by Jason.

I haven't build a solution based on FreeBSD, yet.  I work for a local company
here in Patras, and our firewall is currently a simple set of filters and
access lists on our Cabletron routers.  The FreeBSD box that I work on though
is currently using an ipfilter-based firewall, which is just a second attempt
to block people from accessing the machine; just in case Cabletron ACLs prove
insufficient.

This is barely an enterprise level case-study, but I will be glad to provide
Jason with any information he needs, if I can.

Ciao,
Giorgos.

--
Giorgos Keramidas	    [ keramida @ westgate . gr ]