Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 23:11:00 -0700
From:      Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystems questions

On 11-22 23:00, David Kelly wrote:
> Sean LeBlanc writes:
> >
> > I've been dabbling with FreeBSD a little over a week now, and I was
> > wondering about other filesystems, and how often they are used? Also
> > journaling filesystems like ext3 and Reiser that Linux has.
>
> Is sad in a way, because FreeBSD's UFS is pretty darn good so there
> isn't as much motivation (as with Linux) to replace it with something
> else.

Okay, that's the impression I was starting to get. I just wanted to verify.

> > I was doing some Google searches, and I saw that ufs uses soft updates to
> > make up for not journaling? Any alternative filesystems for FreeBSD
> > that are popular?
>
> Type "mount" with no arguments to see if softupdates is enabled on your
> filesystmes. Is not enabled by default. Or at least not the way I run
> sysinstall. It does make a big difference.
>
> grumpy: {1002} mount
> /dev/da0s2a on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/da0s2f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/da0s2e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad4s3e on /usr2 (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad4s3f on /usr3 (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> /dev/ad4s3g on /usr4 (ufs, local, soft-updates)
> procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
> grumpy: {1003}

Thanks, I tried this, and nope, it's not on:

bash-[10:46:10]$ mount
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s1e on /var (ufs, local)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

> Another thing you may not have picked up on is that the routines for
> creating the positions of directories in filesystems has changed since
> the -RELEASE. The format hasn't changed, only now they are put where
> they are faster to get at. Has produced the most spectacular filesystem
> performance increase I've seen in FreeBSD since 2.0.0. Only helps on new
> directories, but its pretty easy to copy whatever out then back in.

Okay, this is way over my head right now. I'll take your word for it.
I've been using FreeBSD since, well, 4.4. :)

> > Also, I've picked up Greg Lehey's _The_Complete_FreeBSD_. This was based on
<snip>

> I haven't seen recent editions of Greg's book but originally when it
> was written there wasn't anything else for FreeBSD. So it was fairly
> important to cover most everything.

Oops, forgot to mention the edition. It's the third. I don't mean to imply
that it doesn't cover everything, but it just seems, well, a little short in
some areas. At least so far: I haven't gotten through it all yet.

> To my knowledge none of the current FreeBSD-centered books suffer from
> the Linux phenomena of "If you put Linux in the title then we'll
> publish." I bought one or two this past week but haven't opened them
> yet. I like http://www.bookpool.com/ for computer books as they have
> great prices, availability, and have always treated me correctly.

I think the Linux books and their crappiness is relatively new. Back when
Linux was still some esoteric thing, it wasn't nearly as bad. Now, one
definitely has to be very careful not to step in something. At least for
now, FreeBSD users have much more discriminating tastes, at least from my
limited experiences with them - but wait until the hype bomb goes off for
FreeBSD. :) There will be FreeBSD for Dummies and Learn FreeBSD in X Days
for all!

Yep, I use www.addall.com for price comparisons on books (that I don't need
immediately) and usually bookpool turns up as the cheapest. And I've ordered
from them quite a bit over the past two years or so....when I need that
quick fix, I usually traipse down to B&N, not because they are good, but
because they are close. :/

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc@home.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome