Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 00:01:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        cosmo@netscad.net (cosmo)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install Failed FreeBSD4.4 (panic: cannot mount root)

FreeBSD 4.4?  I know BSDi 4.4, but FreeBSD 2.2.6 or, maybe 3.0.

At the boot prompt: 1:wd(0,a)kernel

search the archives for details

> Hi, I recently purchased the book "The Complete FreeBSD".  I tried to
> install the UNIX system but it failed to boot.  The last message it says is
> :" Panic: cannot mount root".  Here is the detailed process I went through:
>
> The machine I have is a Cyrix 150 MHz with 32 Meg of RAM.  I have two hard
> drives in this machine: the primary master is a 2 gig IDE and is used
> entirely by Windows 95 OEM Release 2.  The primary slave is a 1.2 gig IDE
> (1227 Meg) drive which I intend for FreeBSD.  The motherboard is capable of
> detecting hard drives and here is what it saids:
>
> Hard Disks		Type	Size	CYLS	HEAD	PRECOMP	LANDZ     SECTOR	MODE
> Primary Master			2002	970	64	0		3881	       63		LBA
> Primary Slave			1339	2595	16	65535		594	       63	    	LBA
>
> I booted from CD-ROM and got into the FDISK screen.  The hard drive is
> empty, so I pressed "A" to use the entire disk.  FreeBSD created 30 Meg for
> "/", 73 Meg for "swap", 32 Meg for "/var" and the rest for "/usr".  Then I
> quit and used the custom installation without the boot manager (the middle
> choice of the boot manager selection screen).  Everything then went on fine
> except that I cannot find the "Quit" choice on the "Machine Configuration"
> screen.  So I chose "Exit" from the menu, "Exit" again to get back to the
> original screen and chose "Exit Install".  Then the machine reboots and
> prints the boot messages and went on printing the information of hard
> drives, card information, etc, until it says "panic: cannot mount root".
> Here are the last few lines of the screen:

> lnc0 not probed due to I/O address conflict with ed0 at 0x280
> ze0 not found at 0x300
> zp0 not found at 0x300
> npx0 flags 0x1 on motherboard
> npx0: INT 16 interface
> panic: cannot mount root
>
> syncing disks... done
> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
> --> Press a key on the console to reboot <--
>
> After the machine rebooted, I started with the installation CD again, and
> went into the "DISKLABEL" and found that except the swap partition, all the
> text in the "Mount" column saids <none> and the Newfs saids "*".  I think
> that is the problem since "/" is not mounted.  So I use M to mount them and
> installed again.  But the same thing happened like last reboot.  Seems that
> the software just cannot mount the partitions correctly.  I wonder if there
> is something I did wrong or something wrong with my hardware configuration.
>  Then I used Linux boot and root disk to boot and type "FDISK /dev/hdb" at
> the command prompt, and Linux report:
>
> 64 heads, 63 sectors, 648 cylinders
> Device		Boot	Begin	Start	End	Blocks		ID	System
> /dev/hdb1	 *	1	1	649	1307848+	a5	BSD/386
>
> Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings
> 	Phys=(1023,15,63) logical=(648,47,63)
> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary
> 	Phys=(1023,15,63) should be (1023, 63, 63)

> [...]

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.