Date:      Fri, 04 Mar 2011 19:41:37 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   on java and timezone data again

First, it's really inconvenient to rebuild jdk/jre ports/packages each time
timezone data changes (and that happens a lot recently).
Then, it's a little bit of PITA to download from Sun/Oracle.
And the data is not shared between possibly multiple installations of Java.

In various linux distributions they seem to have tzdata-java package built from
standard timezone data.  The package installs timezone files into a shared javazi
directory and apparently all java packages are patched to use that directory
instead of private lib/zi directory.

I looked into the debian package specification and the process seems to be really
simple.  Apparently there is a javazic utility that converts standard timezone
data into the java format.  As I understand that tool is a part of JDK, but is not
actually installed.  E.g. during openjdk build the javazic.jar is produced (in
build/bsd-amd64/btjars).

So, potentially we could create a package for javazic, e.g. based on openjdk6.
Then we could build our own tzdata-java packages.
Then we would have to patch all the jdks (with sources).

At the moment I have only a very vague idea about how to represent the above in
ports.  Or if we need to do that at all.

--
Andriy Gapon