Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:02:07 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Trevin Chow <tmchow@sfu.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make deinstall failed for jdk?

Trevin Chow (tmchow@sfu.ca) wrote:

> I tried doing a `make deinstall` of jdk 1.1.8 port today on my 4.2-S system
> and
> got the following error:
>
> ===>  Deinstalling for jdk-1.1.8
> pkg_delete: package `jdk-1.1.8' is required by these other packages
> and may not be deinstalled (but I'll delete it anyway):
> PerlTools-1.2
This means that the PerlTools package has jdk-1.1.8 as a dependency.
Ideally you would pkg_delete that first.

> rmdir: /usr/local/share/java/classes: Directory not empty
> pkg_delete: unexec command for `rmdir /usr/local/share/java/classes' failed
> rmdir: /usr/local/share/java: Directory not empty
> pkg_delete: unexec command for `rmdir /usr/local/share/java' failed
> pkg_delete: couldn't entirely delete package (perhaps the packing list is
> incorrectly specified?)
Do you by chance have any files left in /usr/local/share/java? Take a
look and see what's there. It would be rude if the deinstall process
removed the directory if you had laboriously installed some Java classes
in that directory.

> I've never had a problem deinstalling ports before and am having difficulty
> understanding why it would fail and what do I do now?
Examine the two remaining directories, /usr/local/share/java/classes,
and /usr/local/share/java. See if there's anything in them you would
like to save, and if not, rm -rf /usr/local/share/java

--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105