Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 06:39:37 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        c9707010@alinga.newcastle.edu.au
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New to FreeBSD

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 04:02:57AM +1000, Stewart Heckenberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently installed FreeBSD. I use UNIX at Newcastle University, and

Hey, you're just up the road! Well, next city from Gosford anyway :-)

What are you studying there? Are other students running FreeBSD?

> I wanted to install a UNIX clone on my PC at home. I chose FreeBSD over
> Linux, as I found the online documentation was much better, and FreeBSD
> seems a "truer" UNIX clone with more emphasis on a hands-on,
> under-the-hood attitude.

Under the hood? Well... Linux was a bit like my old suzuki, it did
"helpful" things without asking, and I had to get "under the hood"
every time I wanted to take it for a run. FreeBSD reminds me more of
those ferries we had in Sydney where you travelled in comfort but could
peek over a low wall at the engine, or walk down the steps and chat
with the blokes there, pass them tools, see how it all works. Ah, the
sound of a well tuned machine, the smell of warm grease!

> I'm hoping to further my UNIX and programming skills using FreeBSD, and
> hopefully I'll one day delete Win95 for good - hoorah! :)

Good on you! FreeBSD-questions can help you if you get stuck, and we
can point you to the doccos so you don't need too much help.
We're all pretty new and like to chat, so let us know how it goes!

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-