Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:50:13 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        parv@pair.com, Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rsync script not excluding dirs

Parv wrote:

>in message <810a540e0603191355n3e86fe15pa15a24da1a48dce8@mail.gmail.com>,
>wrote Pat Maddox thusly...
>

>>I have a backup script that runs nightly, and I want it to exclude
>>certain dirs (ports, obj, etc).  However when I run the script it
>>doesn't exclude anything, leaving me with pretty massive backups.

>>/, /var, /usr, and /backup are all on different partitions.  The key
>>part is at the bottom where it calls rsync and excludes dirs.  Can
>>someone tell me what's wrong with the script?

>>PRE="/usr/local/bin/rsync"
>>${PRE} -bapoguLxSRC --exclude=*.core --exclude=*~* / --exclude=/dev
>>--exclude=/backup /backup/${DAY1}/
>>${PRE} -bapoguLxSRC --exclude=*.core --exclude=*~* /var /backup/${DAY1}/
>>${PRE} -bapoguLxSRC --exclude=*.core --exclude=*~* --exclude=/usr/src
>>--exclude=/usr/ports --exclude=/usr/obj /usr /backup/${DAY1}/
>>

>Your script seems to have wrapped by your mail client.
>
>Anyway, in rsync(1) man page, see "INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN RULES"
>section, point 2 ...
>
>  o if the pattern ends with a / then it will only  match  a  direc-
>    tory, not a file, link, or device.
>

>In other words, none of your exclude patterns for directories end in
>'/' , thus the backup, src, ports, etc. directories are not
>excluded.

I'm not sure that's true.  It says a pattern ending in slash only
matches a directory, it doesn't say that a pattern not ending in slash
won't match a directory.

However, the patterns are anchored wrongly.  Absolute patterns are still
relative to to tree being transferred.  So --exclude=/usr/obj when
transferring /usr would try to match /usr/usr/obj, which is wrong.  Take
the name of the filesystem being rsynced off those patterns and you
should find them excluded as you want.

The rsync man page does try to explain this: it is a bit long and can
take a few reads, but look at the FILTER RULES and ANCHORED PATTERNS...
sections.

--Alex

PS Your flags are way over the top.  -a already includes -rlptgoD so you
don't need them again.  Do you really want -R and I think that knocks
the top-level directory off the files which are unpacked?  And if this
is a backup, then why -u?  That's for use when you are changing files on
the destination and don't want those changes overwritten, which doesn't
sound like what you are doing.  And if it is a backup, then you might
also want -H to preserve hard links.