Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 2000 15:21:37 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RANDOMDEV inspired realitycheck regarding i386/i486...

On 2000-Nov-30 21:47:45 -0600, "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net> wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:29:15AM +1100, Peter Jeremy scribbled:
>| On 2000-Nov-14 15:08:06 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
>| >Has anybody run a 486 or 386 under current recently ?
>|
>| X on a PRE_SMPNG 486 is painful - mouse movements no longer make
>| the X pointer move in real time.  I haven't noticed the seeding
>| issue (probably just luck).
>
>PRE_SMPNG does not have the /dev/random seeding issue.
>
>You actually expected X to run well on a 486? :-)

It used to run reasonably well (ignoring hogs like Netscape) before
Yarrow was added.  I'm hoping that once yarrow is threaded performance
will return to a usable level.  Keep in mind that a 486 is relatively
powerful compared to the available systems when X was designed.

>I do not really think the latest XFree86 versions were designed
>with running 386/486 in mind. 386/486 is still a market, but
>not many people try to build an embedded system with a full X
>and tools.

I'm running XFree86 3.x, rather than 4.x.  I agree that X is unlikely
in most embedded applications, but blocking in the kernel for an
extended period is likely to be equally unacceptable.

Peter