Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:39:10 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        proff@suburbia.net
Cc:        moke@fools.ecpnet.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfilter

In some mail from proff@suburbia.net, sie said:

> > I saw some parts of ipfilter in the -current source code. It appears to be
> > non-compiling from my short try at it, just what is the status on this
> > piece of code?
>
> Avalon has neglected to cvs import BSD/Makefile{,.ipsend}, and the
> module code has not yet been modified to handle *cdevsw's, or devfs
> registrations.  Darren informed me that he has a mln_ipl.c etc with
> *cdevsw [etc] support, so it is perhaps a cvs mystery as to why we
> don't see it in the tree.  The kernel and i386/conf code looks
> correct. Stub makefiles in src/sbin and src/lkm also need creating.

At first, it was brought to my attention that I was using CVS incorrectly
in the FreeBSD environment, so I've cooled off for a bit.

Second, someone mentioned that prototyping was required for it to compile
properly in the kernel.

Third, it doesn't "make dep" very well due to the include's all using
"" and not <>.

This all became apparent after I imported 3.1.7 (and later goofed on
3.1.8 which Peter Wemm fixed).

The first issue is just becoming used to a new environment, the second
I was already working on for 3.2 and had no intention of introducing
prototypes to the 3.1 branch of IP Filter (I was primarily focusing on
making it stable).  The last will be addressed when I or someone else
takes the time to make the required changes and either send the patches
to someone who can commit them or commits them themselves (i.e. me).

Darren