Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2013 18:09:13 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Takuya ASADA <syuu@dokukino.com>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Adding Flow Director sysctls to ixgbe(4)

On 9/27/13 4:53 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> I don't care about whether there's a generic API right now. I'd rather see
> it done as a staged thing, but _not_ sysctls.
>
> Having sysctls to add/remove entries from things is just plain evil.
>
> I'd rather instead come up with a device specific ioctl API for this for
> now w/ a userland tool for each particular chip. Then once we all get a bit
> more experience doing this, a unified API can be proposed.

that makes it worse
If you want to put a device specific sysctl/ioctl set out there then
have a device INDEPENDENT
tool that knows how to handle the devices we have modified and when we
have  enough examples we can change the
ioctl/sysctl interface to a generic one without changing the interface
people are using in their scripts.