Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 03:31:25 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PLAY_BIG - ILLEGAL REQUEST error when playing audio CD?

I'm trying to play an audio CD, but it's not working.  Instead of music
I get error message syslogged:

acd0: PLAY_BIG - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=20 ascq=00 error=01

I'm on 4.5-R, using cd-console v2.4 from the current audio/cd-console
port to play the CD.  The player makes no indication of playing the
track and becomes non-responsive for several seconds when told to play
a track.  After it become responsive again, it continues on as if
nothing had happened.  My mixer settings are fine.  The analog audio
cable is fine.  Switching between pio and dma mode makes no difference.
Running the player as root or unpriveleged makes no difference.

The motherboard is a DFI board, i810 chipset, sound hardware is the
onboard i810 sound hardware through which I have been successful at
playing sound files (MP3s).  The drive is an Afreey 50X drive, the
kernel probes it as:

acd0: CDROM <CD-ROM 50X L> at ata1-master using PIO4