Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:38:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@current1.whistle.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: please comment on this:

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> This is a little related, mostly unrelated though..  mostly a crazy idea
> about a slightly different way to implement something a little similar.
>
> I had a little fun when 2.0R first came out.  I made a "chrooted"
> environment that could "run" on its own, worked very nicely.
>
> My goal: "virtual servers" on a grand scale..  to be able to have multiple
> virtual machines hosted on a single physical machine that appeared to be,
> from the net, for all intents and purposes separate machines.
>
> Of course the easy way to do this was to modify libc's networking layers
> to catch "INADDR_ANY" in all the common places and replace it with a
> specific IP address, based on which virtual server I was currently "on".
>
> It actually worked but I never used it for anything :-/

I use it for Virtual WWW servers.  Each server space runs in a separate
chrooted area, allowing virtual telnet access as well as virtualized
httpd and ftpd.  I did this almost 2 years ago, before apache etc were about.
I simply added a switch to TIS's netacl: -switchbyip to add the receiving
IP address to the chrootdir.

Danny