Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 09:36:01 -0500
From:      "jogegabsd" <jogegabsd@intelnet.net.gt>
To:        "Nader Turki" <nturki@hotmail.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ntfs/mbr

> my question is ... when i reboot i get:
>
> F1 ??
> F2 FreeBSD
>
> Default F2

I have the same problem in my laptop with 4.5-RELEASE and XP Pro. The
problem is not the MBR but is the boot manager. Now the problem is that the
BSD boot manager can't recognize NTFS so it does not know what to add in the
F1 so it adds ???. A few days ago some guys in the list discuss the topic in
how to fix it, but it is difficult. I recommend 2 things.

1.-you can install a boot manager like GRUB(/usr/ports/sysutils/grub). It is
a really great boot manager.

2.-Use Windows XP boot manager to boot FreeBSD, search in the list archives
for the thread.

HTH

Gerardo Amaya