Date:      Sun, 2 Oct 2016 22:21:22 +0200
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
To:        Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Midi and Music Composition on FreeBSD

On 10/02/16 16:53, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-multimedia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't help you with your request. If nobody else should be able to
> help you, the following might help you, to decide using another
> operating system.
>
> Back in 2012 I installed FreeBSD, because I experienced issues with a
> RME HDSPe AIO sound card running Linux. On FreeBSD I got audio working
> with too much latency for real-time usage. IIRC I didn't tested MIDI,
> however, it's possible to experience an amount of MIDI jitter, that
> renders MIDI unusable for making music, since MIDI jitter already is an
> issue for real-time capable PCs.
>
> BSD and Linux are niches and audio for making music is a niche inside
> the niche, or words to that effect said by one of the more prominently
> Linux audio developers about Linux.
>
> Consider to dual-boot/multi-boot FreeBSD and Linux and to use Linux for
> MIDI applications, using the Linux kernel with boot option 'threadirqs'
> or using linux-rt, a patched kernel. Both require some additional
> settings, some could be done automatically by using the script rtirq.
>
> Arch Linux provides binary packages and a FreeBSD ports-like build
> system.
>
> https://www.archlinux.org/
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Build_System
> http://archaudio.org/
> https://aur.archlinux.org/
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/
>
> As a FreeBSD user you unlikely want
>
> https://ubuntustudio.org/
>
> an official Ubuntu flavour, OTOH it might be the most easiest to use
> Linux distro for testing purpose, but OTOH the allegedly user-friendly
> approach comes with many pitfalls.

Hi,

Most people will not notice or care about delays less than 1-2ms for
MIDI when playing a MIDI piano or MIDI organ.

BTW: A good organ player should be capable of handling up to several
hundred milliseconds of delay in big rooms when doing live performances.
Delay is sometimes good and realistic. Sound waves are not like radio
waves exactly :-)

--HPS