Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:18:17 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Christopher R. Bowman" <crbowman@erols.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Encryption rules changes coming up - win for open source

"Christopher R. Bowman" wrote:

> The last paragraph would be a step in the right direction but still seems
> silly.  What are they going to do with it?  I would really like to see people
> educate them on the stupidity of sending code to Washington.  I think it would
> be neat if there was one of those blue ribbon campaign where on a flag day
> every one put all the open source encryption programs they could find up on
> their web pages, and then sent them to Washington, one to a floppy
> disk/envelope.  It would be kinda neat if 1, 5, 10 or even a hundred thousand
> little envelopes with 1 floppy a piece showed up it the appropriate Washington
> office on the same day.  Wonder how long the silly send a copy to Washington
> rule would remain after that.

Forever.  You are making the mistake of thinking they play to do something
with all of this information.  They do not, they play to print it out on
greenbar paper and store it in some warehouse somewhere, along with all the
extra B-17 toilet seats and WWI-vintage helmets and other piles of useless
crap they own.

Never underestimate the silliness of a beauracracy, for it is boundless.