Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:18:32 -0700
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Re: ImageMagick modules (Re: ImageMagick - portupgrade failure -amd64 openexr issues)

=2D---------  Forwarded Message  ----------

Subject: Re: ImageMagick modules (Re: ImageMagick - portupgrade failure -am=
d64=20
openexr issues)
Date: Tuesday 16 October 2007
=46rom: David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To: Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>

=D1=82=D0=B5=D0=BD=D1=8C 2007, David Southwell wrote:
> =3D On Tuesday 16 October 2007 05:24:15 you wrote:
> =3D > On =D0=B2=D1=96=D0=B2=D1=82=D0=BE=D1=80=D0=BE=D0=BA 16 =D0=B6=D0=BE=
=D0=B2=D1=82=D0=B5=D0=BD=D1=8C 2007, David Southwell wrote:
> =3D > =3D > How about a patch for the makefile?
> =3D >
> =3D > Which makefile? ImageMagick's or portupgrade's? The warning is
> legitimate =3D > -- older version of OpenExr /may/ interefere. It may not=
 --
> depending on =3D > too many circumstance to check within ImageMagick's
> makefile.
> =3D
> =3D A few things to think about.
> =3D
> =3D In response to your question maybe both but certainly I feel the
> =3D ImageMagick's makefile should check whether the installed version of
> OpenEXR =3D necessitates the issue of a warning. The Issue of inappropria=
te
> warnings by =3D any port is, IMHO, a bug.
>
> This would complicate the port even further. But do take a crack at it, a=
nd
> send me a patch, if you come up with something.
>
> =3D > portupgrade ought to proceed despite the warnings -- if there is no=
 way
> to =3D > force it, that's a bug. But I do not maintain portupgrade
> =3D
> =3D I do not agree. The purpose of a warning is to ensure that installati=
on
> =3D cannot proceed without human interbvention.
>
> No, that's a purpose of an /error/. A /warning/ is to, uhm, warn...
> Portupgrade seems to be treating warnings as errors, but that is not my
> fault...
>
> =3D If every application issued inappropriate warning then would not the
> entire =3D ports system grind to a halt? A philosophy of warn unless "test
> valid" is =3D appropriate here.
>
> It is simply too difficult to /finely/ automatically determine, whether to
> proceed here. So if a simple /crude/ method suggests, there might be a
> problem, I issue a warning and proceed anyway.
>
> =3D The focus IMHO needs to be on  what is actually installed. not on wha=
t is
> =3D installed by default. In my case both perl and OpenEXR are installed =
with
> =3D threads.
>
> You are right. But this is too difficult to check for in a port. Try it...
>
> 	-mi

I agree it can be difficult  in some instances but those can these not be=20
limited by careful use of configuration options and dependency management=20
where that is not too difficult to implement. For many ports when a user=20
selects an option during configuration then the requirements for that optio=
n=20
can be handled as a dependency (e.g for Imagemagick Perl with_threads=3Dyes=
 (or=20
OpenExr Version (xxx.xx) ). So when the option is selected the users choice=
s=20
can be implemented so as to enable the upgrade to proceed without throwing=
=20
inappropriate warnings. Users can be advised, during the make config routin=
e,=20
of the cponsequences of selecting an option.

My two pennorth