Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:32:16 -0800
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "The Unicorn" <unicorn@blackhats.org>, "skalir scalar" <skalir@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Unauthorized Access...

>> You're looking for 18 USC 1030
>> (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/1030.html); specifically, paras.
>> (a)(4), (5), (6) and (7).
>
>Not unless you are storing
>
>            "information that has been determined by the
>            United States Government pursuant to an Executive order or
>            statute to require protection against unauthorized disclosure
for
>            reasons of national defense or foreign relations, or any
>            restricted data, as defined in paragraph y. of section 11 of
the
>            Atomic Energy Act of 1954"
>
>on your computer.  Try again.

No need to...The 104th Congress extended this in 1996 [Pub.L. 104-294]. The
law now also applies to "protected computers" which "means a
computer...which is used in interstate or foreign commerce or communication"
[18 USC 1030(e)(2)(B)].

I think any halfway-decent lawyer can make an argument that *any* computer
connected to the Internet is engaged in interstate or foreign
communication...

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!