Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 13:08:35 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Ian Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable connection problems

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 11:22:03AM -0500, default013 - subscriptions wrote:
> Ian,
>
> Hi, I'm no networking expert or anything but... from my personal experience,
> I believe that most cable provider's DHCP servers do not really support DHCP
> for *NIX systems... Probably if one was knowledgable enough, one could set
> this up to work but, I have had a few different O/Ses on my cable connection
> and have found that DHCP never works quite right...

DHCP is a protocol defined in RFC2131. DHCP does not know anything
about the operating system your host is running.

But to the original poster...

I believe there is some output from dhclient(8) during the boot. Did
you see it? Do you have a /var/db/dhclient.leases file? What's in it?
Kill the running dhclient(8) and run,

  # dhclient fxp0

And watch the output. If things still are not working, try,

  # tcpdump -w dhcp.dmp 'port 68' &
  # dhclient fxp0

And forward the tcpdump(8) results to the list.