Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 1995 12:11:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tao.thought.org (Gary D. Kline)
To:        questions@freebsd.org (freebsd)
Subject:   PPP, SLIP and modem questions...

I'm trying to get PPP (or SLIP) working on my new FreeBSD platform.
With the scripts in /etc/ppp, I've got my USR 28.8 connecting to
the USR at work.  ...But don't I need to set the modem to _not_
drop DTR (&D0) before PPP will work?  Is there a way to do this
via software commands to the modem?

With my WorldBlazer set in position "A", it is configured with
(&D0) so that the slip program I wrote dials into work, connects,
then kills the connection and exec's the slip script.  The
script slattach's me, does and ifconfig, the route add line,
and telnet's me directly into the main server.   It will probably
take me a couple weeks to port this from my SVR4 (HDB uucp) over.
Do I need to?  Does /usr/sbin/sliplogin do this?

To boil this down, I'm looking for a a way to get PPP (which is
new to me) working.  And SLIP, if possible.

If this mail has confused the blazes out of you and you can send
help, tips, config samples, I'd be much obliged!  The PPP and SLIP
FAQ's in /usr/share (v2.0.5) are a bit dated.  (I'm willing to
write up some new ones once I understand things.)

Thanks to several people, I've made much faster progress that I'd
imagined  so far.  Both tip and uucp work.  SLIP and PPP are among
the last things before I can retire  my SVR4 and  move  up to
FreeBSD.

gary

--
  Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public access uNix