Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:59:16 -0500
From:      "Mire, John" <jmire@lsuhsc.edu>
To:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Anshuman Kanwar <akanwar@engineering.ucsb.edu>
Subject:   RE: comments in firewall rules

-----Original Message-----

I use RCS with $HEADER$ and $LOG entries in my rules to keep track of the
commit log messages for the changes I have made, check manual for co(1)
and see below:

# $Header: /etc/ipf.d/group.rules,v 1.5 2002/06/10 05:27:30 jmire Exp jmire
$
# ============================================================
# $Log: group.rules,v $
# Revision 1.5  2002/06/10 05:27:30  jmire
# allow access to hotmail and passport services by reworking groups 200-205
# under denied WEBSITES as started in v1.3
# added rules to allow PPTP and Terminal Services pass in
# allow traffic out from the firewall machine itself in group 150 which
# solved the problem of the localmachine not able to create connections
#
# Revision 1.4  2002/04/12 05:17:34  jmire
# added rules that block incoming netbios udp traffic on
# ports 137 and 138 in group 202 rules 1 & 2
#
# Revision 1.3  2002/04/11 21:01:55  jmire
# revised all incoming and outgoing interfaces to have more than
# one group (subgroups) depending on protocol, i.e., tcp, udp, esp, etc.
# the added specificity helps in granular control, i.e., udp 138 broadcasts
# need to redo denied websites to better track which sites Microsoft is
# using for windowsupdate, etc...
#
# Revision 1.2  2002/02/11 18:43:35  jmire
# put ALL interfaces in groups including loopback (lo0)
# all general rules are now in the incoming external inteface
# group (group 100)
#
# Revision 1.1  2002/02/11 16:29:07  jmire
# Initial revision
#
# ------------------------------------------------------------
# ============================================================
# Interfaces/Group Setup:
# ============================================================
# interfaces:
#	lo0	- loopback
#	xl0	- external to internet
#	xl1	- internal to 192.168.4.0/24
#	gif0	- tunnel to 192.168.1.0/24
#	gif1	- tunnel to 192.168.2.0/24
#	gif2	- tunnel to 192.168.3.0/24
# groups:
# 	group  10 - incoming lo0
# 	group  15 - outgoing lo0
# 	group 100 - incoming xl0
# 	group 150 - outgoing xl0
# 	group 200 - incoming xl1
# 	group 250 - outgoing xl1
# 	group 500 - incoming gif0
# 	group 550 - outgoing gif0
# 	group 600 - incoming gif1
# 	group 650 - outgoing gif1
# 	group 700 - incoming gif2
# 	group 750 - outgoing gif2
... [snip]

--
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers
exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will

John Mire: jmire@lsuhsc.edu                Network Administration
318-675-5434              LSU Health Sciences Center - Shreveport

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by