Date:      Mon, 09 Dec 2002 22:47:24 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound familiar? 5.0-RC hangs on dual athlon

"Jacques A. Vidrine"
cc  current@

I have an ASUS P2L97-DS ACPI BIOS Revision 1008 Dual cpu box
	FreeBSD 5.0-DP2 #0: Wed Dec  4 00:26:02 CET 2002
	CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (334.09-MHz 686-class CPU)
  	Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x650  Stepping = 0
  	Features=0x183fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,
		MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
	real memory  = 536858624 (511 MB)
	avail memory = 514600960 (490 MB)

I also experienced unusable instability with 5.0-DP2 DUAL CPU kernel.
	it crashed with lots of different stack traces,
	so I didnt chase/report (lack of time, (I migh have found time
	if it was one thing consiustently, but no time for a variety))
	Easiest way to get it to crash in minutes was do several jobs
	at once, EG
		cd /usr/src ; make -j 10
	Without the j 10 it reduced to `just' a handful of crashes during make.

I dropped back to a generic single CPU kernel.

( Which cancelled main reason I moved to 5.0-DP2:
    to get ATA bus working with dual, see my Nov. 22
   Subject: 5.0-DP2: SMP+ATA OK.  But 4.7 & stable boot panic with ASUS P2L97-DS   To:     freebsd-current@
)

I'm down loading 5.0-RC1-i386-disc1.iso

Julian Stacey
jhs @ berklix.com   Computer Systems Engineer, Unix & Net Consultant, Munich.
  Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren.
  Munich BSD Conference:		http://berklix.org/conf/
  Spam phrases triggering deletion:	http://berklix.com/jhs/mail/