Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:44:26 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        daverk@epix.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosts file

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:48:33 -0500  Dave Kaufman wrote:
 +------------------
 | should there be more in my /etc/hosts file than
 |
 | 127.0.0.1	localhost
 |
 | i'm thinking there should but i'm not finding it in the handbook. shouldn't
 | there be a reference to my local host name?

To amplify on what others have said.  The hostfile is only to supplement
other means of looking up host names.  If you are used to solaris you might
see lots of entries in hosts since the convention is to use names rather
than addresses in all the boot time scripts.   It can be convenient to
have a few names in there if you have a home lan and want to refer
to stations by name.   But it is not strictly necessary.
--
    Chris Fedde