Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 15:45:03 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <doug.poland@omniresources.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ports and packages

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about managing ports and packages.  When I
> install a port, I can also see it when I run pkg_info.  So,
> is it a port, or is it a package?

All ports, once installed, are considered installed packages.
(Instead of doing a 'make install' from a port, try a 'make package' and
then a 'pkg_add'.  The end result is the same.)

> If I want to remove it, would I do a "pkg_delete" or
> "make deinstall"?

Usually 'pkg_delete' is the best way to do it, since its actions are based
on the plist created when you installed the port.  The hazard with doing a
'make desintall' is that if your ports tree has been updated, then it may do
something applicable to a newer version of the port, which you don't have
installed and sometimes version checking doesn't always catch.

--
Matt Emmerton