Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 05:35:57 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Kenneth Culver" <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Variable Ethernet speeds between machines?

Kenneth writes:

> also, if you want full-duplex:
>
> ifconfig if0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

Okay.  I simply gave this command so that I wouldn't have to reboot (I
assume).  I gave it for xl0 since that is what I see in the rc.conf file.  I
note that the line that says "media:" has changed now and the "autoselect"
has disappeared; specifically it says:

  media: 100baseTX <full-duplex> status: active
  supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX 10baseT/UTP
<full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP 100baseTX <hw-loopback>

Does this mean that the system will now force 100 Mbps and full-duplex on
that NIC for all communication?