Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:52:40 -0500
From:      Walter <walterk1@earthlink.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.6.2 spurious reboot, fwiw

Matthew Seaman wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 08:56:58AM -0500, Walter wrote:
> > .. my
> > FBSD 4.6.2 system rebooted a little after 2 last night.
>
> Do you have a UPS?  Sounds to me like you had a momentary dip in the
> mains voltage.  PC's can be very sensitive to that sort of thing, and
> will reboot themselves when other equipment (clocks, radios, videos)
> just carry on reguardless.

Yes, I do.  So, I checked it by pulling its pull out of the
wall (while the HD was not active, no log-ons, etc.).  The
computer stopped.  It looks like my UPS battery is dead.
A similar entry in the log appeared after reboot as appeared
for 2 am.  Good call.

> Of course, simply by running FreeBSD you've foxed 99% of the script
> kiddies and nasty-ware out in the wild.  But that's no cause for
> complacency: any one fancy a dose of the Scalper worm?
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         Matthew

Better securing my computer is in the plans, but after I
reinstall FBSD after claiming the 600MB of the HD I
left for DOS and dual-boot.  After getting FBSD running,
I can't think of a reason to hold onto DOS any more.

Thanks.

Walter