Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2014 14:33:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <Trond.Endrestol@fagskolen.gjovik.no>
To:        Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Single-User mode problems

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 06:17-0700, Beeblebrox wrote:

> I am seeing two problems when system goes to single-user mode.
>
> 1. If I boot into single-user, It gives ""cannot read termcap database using
> dumb terminal settings". I have checked /usr/share/misc and ran "# cap_mkdb
> termcap". Resulting .db file is same size as before.

Any chance the /usr/share, or even /usr, are on separate filesystems?

On systems with a separate /usr, UFS or ZFS, I usually create the
/usr/share/misc hierarchy on the root fs, and and place additional
copies of the termcap* files there. This makes both the Bourne shell
and the Bourne-again shell happy. As an aid to update these extra
copies, I mount the root fs as NFS on localhost while in multi-user
mode.

> 2. On the other hand, if I go to single user with "shutdown now", "Enter
> full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:",  Return > system freezes and
> shows "init: can't exec for single user no such file or directory". I then
> have to "ctrl+alt+del" and reboot.
>
> It's possible problem #1 is related to #2, but I can't figure out how...
>
> $ ls /bin/*sh*  >  csh  sh   tcsh
> $ cat /etc/shells  >  /bin/sh, /bin/csh, /bin/tcsh, /usr/local/bin/bash,
> /usr/local/bin/rbash, /usr/local/libexec/git-core/git-shell

Hmm, I have never seen problem #2. Is this on base/head? What rev?

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |