Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:55:17 -0400
From:      "Derrick Norris" <denorris@bellsouth.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   /etc/daily.local output fubar after XFree86 4.1.0 install

Hi folks:

A couple of times now, I have noticed a problem that I think is related
to XFree86 4.1.0.  I started with a fresh install of 4.3-RELEASE, then
began tracking either RELENG_4_3 or RELENG_4, usually cvsupping and
updating ports tree daily, updating src tree and building world less
frequently (maybe weekly).  If I have to reinstall I tar the repo off to
a spare drive so I don't have to suck the whole thing down each time I
reinstall.

I usually do it pretty much the same way every time -- install, bring
back the repo, update ports, install bash, cvsup, wget, then try XFree86
and Gnome.  Each time I put in /etc/daily.local a cvsup and a wget to
update my IP in a dynamic DNS service.  Before XFree86 got updated to
4.1.0, everything went fine. Well I screwed something up recently and
did another reinstall (I'm basically playing with multi-booting, hobby
kind of stuff, wiping the system and reinstalling/playing to get
familiar with FreeBSD).

After I updated the ports that time, XFree86 had been upped from 4.0.3
to 4.1.0.  I built it and Gnome from the ports and after that some of my
output from daily.local did not get mailed.  I got part of it, but none
of the output from the cvsup and only part of the output from the wget.

I didn't know exactly what caused the problem, so I did another
reinstall from a 4.3-RELEASE CD and then basically did one thing at a
time until the problem occurred.

4.3-RELEASE + cvsupit-- all daily.local output fine
4.3-STABLE 2001/07/25 after buildworld -- all daily.local output fine
4.3-STABLE 2001/07/25 after adding bash, wget -- all daily.local output
fine
4.3-STABLE 2001/07/26 after buildworld -- all daily.local output fine
4.3-STABLE 2001/07/26 adding XFree86 4.1.0 -- daily.local output messed
up

I am going to try again, starting with a 4.3-RELEASE, then just putting
on XFree86 4.0.3.  If that works fine, I am going to install again just
to get a clean slate, then update my ports tree and install just XFree86
4.1.0 to see if the problem recurs.

Man that was a lot of wind to ask just a simple question -- does anyone
have any ideas why building XFree86 4.1.0 from the ports would screw up
the output from /etc/daily.local?  By the way, I did another buildworld
today _after_ I had built XFree86 4.1.0 yesterday, ran periodic daily
manually, and the output was still wrong.

TIA,
Derrick