Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:37:56 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Silly question. How to install ports.

>I am having trouble installing ports.  I am trying to update apache
>to 1.3.22. I downloaded the tarball and did a pkg_add
>apacheblabla.tar.  it made a new group called www and quit.
>
>Is this how one usually installs ports?  How do you install a port in
>the ports directory or if its not in a tarball?  I know this info is
>online somewhere but I cannot seem to find it right now.

pkg_add is different from ports, but still works well. I prefer ports
because FreeBSD will compile the app using custom compiler options set in
make.conf. To install a port:
Go to the directory of the port, like /usr/ports/www/apache and type "make
install clean"
You can find a port by visiting /usr/ports and typing "make search key=blah"
where blah is your keyword.
This is all covered in detail in the handbook which you can find at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Charles Burns