Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 2015 06:15:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Don whY <Don.whY@gmx.com>
Subject:   Re: Mount NetBSD partition/slice

On Sun, 6 Sep 2015, Don whY wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've pulled the media from my NetBSD systems (6.x?) before moving to
> FreeBSD (9.2).  The goal was to set up FreeBSD-based appliances and
> maintain them from FreeBSD *systems*.
>
> However, I've been having a tough time getting FreeBSD to play nice
> with the NetBSD media.  A bit of research indicates that there is
> no support for these incompatible volume formats.

It's not clear whether you mean filesystems or a partitioning system or
maybe some kind of RAID-type "volume".

> So, I can either rebuild one of more NetBSD systems and pull all
> the data across a network connection.  This could be tedious as
> there are 10-12 slices of significant size on each volume.  (I had
> hoped to just install the drives in the FreeBSD boxen and cp(1) the
> contents of the volume at bus speeds.)
>
> Or, just rebuild the NetBSD systems and make NetBSD-based appliances
> (i.e., abandon FreeBSD).
>
> [I'm not an OS zealot; I'm just looking for something that *works*
> with the least amount of wasted effort/time]
>
> Have I missed some "trick" to coax NetBSD into *reading* these
> volumes?

It depends on the answer to the question above.  If FreeBSD can read the
NetBSD version of UFS but there is some header/partitioning data in the
way, there is an example of skipping over that in mdconfig(8).

If NetBSD can read and write FreeBSD UFS, then add another drive with
FreeBSD UFS to the NetBSD system and copy it there.

If it is something only NetBSD can read, a NetBSD VM on a FreeBSD host
could deal with it.  scp/rsync/cpdup could be used.  That will go
through the VM-to-host network.  In theory, that would be faster than a
physical network.  In practice, it might not be any faster.