Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:43:10 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promise FASTtrak66/RAID1 working?

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:46:35PM -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:

> > Use the ar0 if you want the RAID to work, and setup your ar0
> > configuration in the Promise card's BIOS.
>
> The manpage doesn't mention the RAID controller to be supported.
> Is there a webpage containing information, what functionality
> one may expect from RAID mode ???

No, there isn't.  Basically, you can't really expect much; I don't even
think that failure of one drive in a mirror will be handled correctly.

> Is it mainly the controller, who does this job ?

No, it's all done by the driver.

> Would it then be possible, to install Win2000 and FreeBSD
> on the same mirrored set of disks ?

This is probably feasible.

> What if a failure occurs ? Does it automatically switch over
> to use the remaining drive without having to do something
> immediately ?

No; from my reading of the code, you'll get a lot of disk error messages.
The system may fail.

> When does recovery takes place ? Do I simply have to
> powerdown the machine and replace the bad disk and the
> controller automatically recovers the harddisks ? Even
> if drive 0 was bad ? Does it boot then from drive 1 and
> does recovery in the background ?

None of this is done.

If you want ATA RAID, get a 3ware controller.  End of story.