Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:31:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange error

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, J Wunsch wrote:
> As Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> > "Format Unit Command (04H)
> > Initializes the optical disk surface.  An unformated Write-Once disk can
> > be formatted only once."
>
> Oh, that's a write-once medium.  I thought it were an M-O one.

No, they're qualifying the 'format unit command'.  The paragraph should be
read as: "rewritable MO media may be formatted as you like; wrinte once MO
media can be formatted only once."

MO media, while hard sectored, have error correction, bad block maps and
other information that must be initializd by a low level format.

I'd venture to say that since the media is all common b/t the various 5
1/4" MO drives they all may be low level formatted.

I have no experience with 3 1/2" MO drives; frankly they're capacity is so
small as to be useless.  The only saving feature about the 650 meg MO
media is that its quite nearly the size of a CD and works well for
arranging CD volumes.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | 78 280Z | 75 164E | 84 245DL | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |      This Space For Rent     | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |