Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:57:36 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        "stan@osgroup.com" <stan@osgroup.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: reading files.

Constantine Shkolnyy wrote:

> > I think something like PGP is the only way. The way I remember
> > administrator priviledges with NT is that you can't keep me from
> > accessing a file. I just have to take ownership of the user's
> > directories and then change the ownership of the file I want to look at.
> > When I get through, I would have to change the ownership of everything I
> > changed back to the user. I also think this would leave many tracks
> > behind, which isn't a quiet way like su'ing to the user from root.
>
> My recollection is that after you took ownership in NT, you _can't_
> change it back. You will have to explain the user why you needed to
> do that.

Once you mentioned it, that was the way I remembered it; however, from
what I have seen today that isn't completely true. I have two user names
with administrator priviledges. I created a directory as administrator.
When I wanted to change ownership of the directory logged in as the
second user, I was presented with both names in the administrator group
as choices. I don't know what the interaction with real user files would
be. I don't have any on my development server.

It had been a long time since I had to change ownership. The usual time
is when I want to do a clean install without a disk wipe. I had a
directory \wints4b2 that I wanted to remove and there were all of these
files that were owned by the other system. You could change ownership
and rights and then you could delete the directory. It was slow and a
pain but it worked.

Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA