Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2000 02:00:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Janko van Roosmalen <acs.van.roosmalen@hccnet.nl>
To:        Jason Halbert <res02jw5@gte.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Servers

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Jason Halbert wrote:

[snip]

> As I just tried to send the above message, the reason why I need my
> own SMTP server is appearent.  My isp's SMTP server refused to relay
> the e-mail because of the sender's e-mail address... mine
> (jason@jason-n3xt.org).
>
> I am sorry that this thread has become so long, but there has to be a
> way to do what I need to do.  =)  I just need help finding it.
>
> Thanks as always...
>
> ---
> Jason
> jason@jason-n3xt.org

Your ISP probably refused to relay because of a failed reverse DNS
lookup on your domain.

It first asks what is the IP address of "jason-n3xt.org". The answer is
"4.33.96.206".
Then it asks who is "4.33.96.206". Answer:
"crtntx1-ar3-096-206.ds1.gtei.net". As these do not match they do not
accept mail from you.

Output of "host jason-n3xt.org" :

jason-n3xt.org has address 4.33.96.206
jason-n3xt.org mail is handled (pri=1) by jason-n3xt.org

Output of "nslookup 4.33.96.206" :

Server:  parmenides.utp.net
Address:  0.0.0.0

Name:    crtntx1-ar3-096-206.dsl.gtei.net
Address:  4.33.96.206

===Janko van Roosmalen - Vught - Netherlands===