Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 10:52:27 +0100
From:      Steffen Ullrich <coyote.frank@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   no way for good textmodes (VESA+SC_PIXEL_MODE+VGA_WIDTH90 enabled)

Hi,
I'm fairly new to freebsd (only used linux,Digital Unix and Solaris
so far).  I'm used to make most of my work in textmode, so I like to
have good textmodes.
I have an ATI XPERT, and yes I've scanned the mailing list archiv and
found several questions similar to mine, but w/o an answer or w/o an
satisfying answer.

Using linux I get on an ATI XPERT with vga=ask on kernel startup the
following modes: 80x(25,50,43,28,30,34,60), 40x25 and with an additional
"scan": 100x(25,30),132x(25,44). Additionally I can use the vesa
framebuffer console where I at least get 1024x768 (that's the one I usually
use).

In freebsd vidcontrol -i mode shows me a lot of modes: textmodes and
graphical modes. But all textmodes are equal or below 90x60. So no 100x..
or even 132x... . The highest graphic mode is 640x480. End even from the
modes supported I get only few with vidcontrol or a similar program (I wrote
a small prog to get at least the 90x modes, because vidcontrol does not
know about these modes). So VESA_800x600 or higher does not work, which is
strange, because it works on linux.

Thus my questions:
- Is there anything I do wrong (VESA+SC_PIXEL_MODE+VGA_WIDTH90 enabled)?
- And if not - why does freebsd behaves differently (and worse) in this regard
  compared to linux and is there a way to fix it?