Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:15:21 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dramatic cron changes are premature Was: Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/cron/cron cron.8 cron.c cron.h

Sergey Babkin wrote:

> To mention it from the start, I've backed out my changes.

Thank you.

> There are other things which may not allow a job to finish in
> a predefined time slot. For example, other operations going on
> and consuming CPU, disk or network bandwidth. So presuming
> that a job would finish by some time is inherently unsafe.
> The safe way is to put both jobs sequentially into one script
> and run this one script from cron.

Remember that for later.

> Time critical jobs should be avoided at all, by including all the
> dependent jobs into one script and running only this script
> from cron.

And remember that while you read this:

> I can give you one example from my past experience: a nightly cold
> backup of a database which takes a long time, must be started after
> all the day's work would be complete, and finish by 7:30AM the next
> morning. The time of backup depends on the amount of change logs
> generated during the day, so to be safe it should be started as
> early as possible. Well, eventually we got the day's close
> processing to complete by 12:50 and scheduled the job there.
> But the fact that two hours of time are unusable for starting
> any jobs is not a particularly exciting one nor fun to discover.

This is an absurd claim, especially in the light of what you
said earlier (quoted above).  If the backup depends on the
processing of something else, then the script that starts the
other processing should run the backup at the end, and issues of
DST are completely irrelevant.  This has always been the case,
and still is.

You keep demanding technical arguments (which I think means
arguments about the content of the proposed changes) -- but the
matter of concern to me is /not/ that at all, it's whether there
is any need for potentially breaking an important utility which
has known behaviour to "solve" things that don't need and are
not suited to technical solutions, no matter who else might
think that is the way to go.  Arguing that commercial Unix
vendors have decided to meet the lowest common denominator by
changing cron is not a case for FreeBSD to go down the same
road.

> > > And I made the additional point that practically all the commercial
> > > Unixes do support intelligent handling of DST. Being different
> > > from them makes no good and is a lot of inconvenience.
> >
> >         If you want to offer the option of making cron think for the user
> > instead of following traditional behavior then it should be offered as a
> > command line option, defaulting to off. Period. "We're not like everyone
> > else" is not a compelling argument here.
>
> This sort of arguments is largely responsible for why Unix had
> branched in so many incompatible ways. The NIH syndrome is not
> the most productive approach.

A certain TLA once came out with their own Unix (known by
another TLA) and I had the joy of working with beta versions of
this OS.  Thousands of things just didn't work, including dozens
of awk scripts.  It turned out that the company had "audited"
the awk code and "fixed" it to comply with their in-house coding
standards.  Just because other people do something is not of
itself a compelling argument to follow suit.