Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 2002 20:04:07 +0200
From:      Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml.ventu@flashnet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dial in only works for a while

Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> I don't really understand the reason why either the modem or the serial port would change their setting spontaneously.

You are right. They don't.

> Let's deal with the serial port: it's initialized at boot time by rc.serial, so a reboot should have set it up right.
> In any case wouldn't "sh /etc/rc.serial" be enough to solve the matter in case for some reasons it wasn't
> properly configured?

It all depends on how you want your serial port set. I think it is
initially set at 9600.

> Besides, stty showed a speed of 57600 bps, so I think it was not the problem.
>
> The modem: doing an ATI4 shows a speed of 57600 (obviously after issuing cu -s), while ATI5 shows 9600 and 115200
> respectively for the two stored profiles. But again, now that it is working at this speed, why should it change?

It shouldn't, unless it has been accessed by something else.

> Furthermore, I often find that cu will only run once; after that, I get a "line in use" message, although ps shows no
> process using /dev/cuaa0 (there is getty on /dev/ttyd0, but that's also true the first time I run cu). Is there
> anything I can do to solve this without rebooting?

Try resetting the modem instead.

Try this:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serial.html

	Keep also in mind that by setting the serial port to a speed doesn't
necessarily mean setting the modem to that speed also. All modern modems
are auto detect so by simply typing anything to it the modem's
parameters are auto set. However, I would recommend to lock your serial
port AND modem's serial speed to a fixed rate and best one is 115200 (or
even higher if you have), specially if you are using your modem's
hardware compression. I can't recall the AT commands of your 3Com but I
think your modem might have some online help. I think its AT$.