Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 08:48:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Cc:        jdp@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Andreas Gerstenberg <andy@andy.de>
Subject:   Re: generic problem in ports?

David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> I'm getting this too, and only recently.  I tried manually deleting the
> port, but I still get this on every cvsup
>
>> while trying to do a cvsup of the ports:
>>
>> Parsing supfile "/usr/local/etc/cvs-ports.conf"
>> Connecting to cvsup.freebsd.org
>> Connected to cvsup.freebsd.org
>> Server software version: REL_16_1
>> Negotiating file attribute support
>> Exchanging collection information
>> Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
>> Running
>> Updating collection ports-all/cvs
>>  Checkout ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files/patch-aa
>>  Checkout ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files/patch-ab
>>  Checkout ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files/tomcat.sh
>>  Delete ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files
>> Updater failed: Cannot delete "/usr/ports/www/jakarta-tomcat/files":
>> Directory not empty

OK, but what is in that directory?  It is in fact supposed to be
empty.  It sounds like maybe you adopted an old existing ports tree
with CVSup at some point.  (See the CVSup FAQ for the gory details.)

This particular problem, by the way, is related to some repository
surgery I had to perform over the weekend.  It should have worked
for you, though, because that directory should be empty.

As a work-around, just delete the whole ports/www/jakarta-tomcat
subtree and run CVSup again.  Make sure you're not using cvsup's
"-s" option during that run.

John