Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 2010 22:43:29 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smb driver for Nvidia ION (intel ATOM) chipset

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:38:31PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> If you look inside /usr/ports/sysutils/mbmon/work/xmbmon205 once
> the port is built (e.g. "make"), you'll find there are other utilities
> for attempting to find the slave address, such as "testsmb"
>
> Be aware that these devices can contain more than one address on the
> bus.  Be aware that "probing" is risky business as well -- I've seen

Oops, accidentally deleted the lines after this.  :-)  Should have read:

I've seen testsmb as well as my own utilities (which perform only reads
across SMBus) result in some hardware lock-ups and watchdogs firing.
It's best to be as safe/accurate as possible (the software should be
told explicitly what chip you have).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |