Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:35:58 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   libvgl and splitting the screen

Hi,

Is it possible to use libvgl but get it to use just part of the screen so
I have a regular text console above? I'm guessing not...

I'm trying to get text to scroll along the bottom of the screen (lame I
know)...is there another way? I can scroll in character chunks by printing
substrings of the string but that looks a bit jerky to the eye. I didn't
want to have to use libvgl to do all the drawing of text on the rest of
the screen.

If I do end up using libvgl what are legal values for VGLInit? The only
value that seems to work is SW_VGA_MODEX but I was after something with a
bit higher resolution...SW_VGA_VG640 is mentioned in a comment in
examples/libvgl/demo.c but is undefined, SW_VGA_CG640 returns an error
(-1). I'm guessing it depends on the video card about which dmesg says:

vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0

Its in a Compaq Prolinea 4/50 and I have no idea what it is but it can do
640x480 under X (using VGA16 and the 'generic' chipset).

Thanks,

Andrew