Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 02:32:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Yu-Shun Wang <yushunwa@isi.edu>
Cc:        Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPComp question

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Yu-Shun Wang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	What you pointed out below is true. But I am more
> 	interested in the relative performance since the number
> 	I measured were under exactly the same setup and traffic
> 	condition. I am just curious why IPComp was _relatively_
> 	(and signigicantly) slower than most of the encryption
> 	algorithm. So I guess bandwidth is probably not the best
> 	pointer since what I end up comparing was really the
> 	implementations of different encryption/compression
> 	algorithms which are CPU-bound in this case.
>
> 	regards,
>
> 	yushun.

I don't understand why you're comparing encryption and compression
algorithms.  Yes, encryption does a lot of bit twiddling, which takes up
processor time.  However, compression has to do a lot of comparisons,
looking back and ahead all the time.  It's quite amazing to me that a
compression algorithm even comes close to the speed of an encryption
algorithm, frankly.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack