Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:29:59 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

Tim Gerchmez wrote:

> At 06:56 PM 6/16/98 -0600, you wrote:
>
> >Unix is user friendly.  It's just not beginner friendly.
> >
> >Vi is somewhat of a right of passage.
>
> Unix isn't a cult or a fraternity with rites of passage, is it?  I could
> have sworn it was an operating system.
>
> >Please consider making a
> >concerted effort to become productive with it.
>
> No f*#$$ way.  Why the hell should I, because you say so and it's some sort
> of silly-ass rite of passage to learn it?  There are a million other
> alternatives out there.
>
> Sorry I'm being something of a grouch, but I hate this fanatic type crap,
> and will NEVER be one of those *nix users who think their OS is the only
> one worth using and get on everyone else's case who uses another OS.  I
> hate those f*&$#$ers.
>
> Sorry, all, I'm grumpy today.  A lot of hrs. without sleep again.

Argh, Tim you are closed minded.
I'm newbie. I dont think un*x is the solution for a newbie.
But if you want to know un*x, know basic tools common to unix.
Vi is one of the most important, because if someday you go on another
un*x-clone, vi will be there. Not ee. In fact, you will have to learn a
lot of long maybe boring thing other than vi. You will have to read ugly
but usefull man page. You have no reason to think than because we
suggest vi, you will have to think than FreeBSD is the only good OS in
the world.

Its a really good suggestion.

Malartre