Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:15:34 +1200
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net, jabley@clear.co.nz
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support (please don't)

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 02:23:46PM -0400, W Gerald Hicks wrote:
> A resource fork can be useful to help application developers targeting
> multiple OS's.  Each OS seems to have its own special rules about where
> supplemental static data should be stored.

While we're busy re-inventing the Mac :) how about the concept of fat
binaries?

Is there any reason why we couldn't support ELF binaries with multiple
pageable executables embedded in it, so that a single distributed
binary could support multiple architectures?

You could always strip the binaries down to a single architecture if
you were short of space...

Joe