Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 08:51:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
Cc:        joed@engg.ksu.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding additional memory banks

> I don't think you can add _real_ memory (not EMM or something like
> this) with an ISA board.  You need some sort of a ``local bus'' for
> it, most ISA boards i've seen with such a thing had something like
> a reverse ISA slot designed for a proprietary memory expansion.

No, you can do this.  Obviously < 16MB of RAM.  I have a 12MB 386SX-16
with 8MB on a Boca Ram-AT board that booted 386BSD.  Don't ask me
to give you "make world" times, but I did play around with 386BSD 0.1
on it for a while before buying a system to run 386BSD.

> The ISA bus itself is IMHO too slow.

No argument here.  I think Joe should look at buying a new motherboard
that supports his SIMMS directly.  The price will probably be close
- if he is considering this ISA option I assume it is a low
performance system.

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936